Expert resume of
Antonio Sainz de Vicuña
Arbitrator and mediator; former. Independent Director, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, CaixaBank; former General Counsel, European Central Bank (Frankfurt a.M.) and Chairperson, Eurosystem Legal Committee (LEGCO); former General Counsel, European Monetary Institute (Frankfurt a. M); former Chief Legal Adviser, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Madrid); former State Attorney.
- 2014 – 2019: Independent Director, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, CaixaBank.
- 1998 – 2013: General Counsel. European Central Bank (Frankfurt a.M.)
- Chairperson, Eurosystem Legal Committee (LEGCO).
- 1994 – 1998: General Counsel, European Monetary Institute (Frankfurt a.M.)
- 1989 – 1994: International Legal Counsel, Banco Español de Crédito (Banesto)
- Member of the Board and Secretary, Saudi Spanish Bank – Saudesbank.
- 1974 – 1989: Legal Counsel, Government Legal Service (Abogacía del Estado); Departments of Finance & Economy (1974-1978), and of Foreign Affairs (1979-1994).
- 1984-1988: Head of the Legal Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Academic background, memberships, activities and languages.
- 1979: Diploma in International Law, Cambridge University (Pembroke College). Paper on “State contracts in International Law”. Expanded later into a book in Spanish, published by the Foreign Affairs Department “La contratación exterior del Estado” (1986).
- 1974: Member of the Government Legal Service.
- 1971: Graduate in Economic Sciences, Graduate in Law, University of Madrid (1971).
- Publications: some academic 30 articles on legal aspects of money, banking, finance and EU Law.
- Memberships: Spanish Court of Arbitration (www. www.corteespanolaarbitraje.es); Civil & Commercial Court of Arbitration (www.cimaarbitraje.com); Commercial Mediator (https://www.camara.es/arbitraje-y-mediacion/); Bar Association of Madrid (ICAM); Spanish Association for European Law (www.aedeur.es). President, Spanish Section, Aid to the Church in Need (www.ayudaalaiglesianecesitada.org).
- Honours: Commander of the Order of Queen Elizabeth the Catholic (1986); Commander of the Order of Civil Merit (2013); Commander Cross, S.M. Order of Malta (2015).
- Languages: Spanish, French, English and German.